Overview: With the world’s largest South-South PhD and post-doctoral research fellowship programme, TWAS helps early-career researchers to gain education and experience at top global science institutions. TWAS currently has over 470 PhD fellowships with 14 partners in eight countries, and over 150 postdoctoral fellowships with 16 partners in nine countries. New PhD and postdoctoral fellowships are now available in collaboration with South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) and new fellowships will open later in April.
Study Level: PhD
Area of Study: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Chemical and Biological Sciences. The following areas include Agricultural Sciences, Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Medical and Health Sciences including Neurosciences, Chemical Sciences.
Fellowship Value:ICCBS will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs, such as food, accommodation, local transportation and incidental minor illness. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
Requirements: Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- 45 years for postdoctoral on 31 December of the year of application;
- Hold a Master’s or Ph.D. degree in a field of natural sciences;
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- Mrovide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- Full-Time Fellowships: be willing to register at the University of Karachi (Pakistan);
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from the supervisor or head of department at ICCBS (see sample Acceptance Letter included in the application form). Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Director of ICCBS (Prof. M.I. Choudhary at hej-at-cyber.net.pk or pcmd-at-cyber.net.pk) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Prof. Choudhary, applicants must accompany their request for a preliminary acceptance letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline and two reference letters;
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if the medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
How to Apply:
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from ICCBS when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachments via e-mail directly to TWAS and a copy to the Director of ICCBS. The subject line must contain ICCBS/PG/candidate’s surname. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants to the TWAS-ICCBS Fellowship Programme should send one copy of their application to TWAS only (by email). Please do not send a copy to ICCBS.
Deadline: 31 August 2018